There’s something about camping that just makes it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. Campgrounds are often noisy and uncomfortable, and when you finally manage to doze off, the sun is already up. If you’re struggling to sleep while camping, here are ten reasons why and some tips on how to fix it.
Why Can’t I Sleep When Camping?
There are many reasons for not being able to sleep when camping, here are some of them;
- The ground is hard and uneven
- You’re restless from all the fresh air
- It’s too bright outside
- There are too many distractions
- You’re not used to the noises
- You’re not in your own bed
What to Do When You Can’t Sleep While Camping?
Here are some tips on what you can do when you can’t sleep while camping;
1. Find a comfortable spot
The first step to being able to sleep while camping is to find a comfortable spot. If the ground is too hard, try using a camping mat or an air mattress. You can also bring along a pillow from home to make sleeping on the ground more bearable.
2. Get in a routine
Before bed, try to do some of the same things you would do at home to get yourself into a sleep-ready state. Have a light dinner, brush your teeth, and read a book to relax your mind before attempting to sleep.
3. Use earplugs
If noise is keeping you awake, try using earplugs to muffle the sound. You can also bring along a white noise machine to help drown out any unwanted noises.
4. Create a dark environment
Eye masks can help block out the light if you’re struggling to sleep during the daytime. If you’re camping in an area with streetlights, hanging a blanket over your tent can also create a darker environment.
5. Limit caffeine intake
Avoid drinking coffee or other caffeinated beverages in the evening so that you’re not wired when it’s time to sleep.
6. Get up and move around
If you’ve been lying in bed for hours without falling asleep, sometimes it’s best to just get up and move around. Go for a walk, read a book, or do something else to take your mind off of sleep.
7. Try relaxation techniques
There are many relaxation techniques that can help you fall asleep. One popular method is progressive muscle relaxation, which involves tensing and relaxing different muscle groups in your body. The military method is highly recommended!
8. Don’t force it
The more you try to force yourself to sleep, the harder it will be to actually fall asleep. If you’re finding it difficult to drift off, just relax and let sleep come naturally.
What’s Best to Sleep on When Camping?
Here are some of the best things to sleep on when camping, depending on your needs;
- Air Mattress – If you want a more comfortable option than sleeping on the ground, an air mattress is a good choice. They can be inflated with a pump or by mouth, and some even come with built-in pillows.
- Camping Cot – A camping cot is a raised platform that you can sleep on. They’re more comfortable than sleeping on the ground and offer elevation, which can help if you have back pain.
- Hammock – Sleeping in a hammock is a great way to relax while camping. Some hammocks even come with mosquito nets to keep pests away while you sleep.
- Camping Mat – A camping mat is a thin, foam pad that you can place under your sleeping bag to insulate your body from the cold ground. They’re lightweight and easy to carry, making them a great option for backpacking trips.
There are many different options when it comes to choosing what to sleep on when camping. The best thing to do is figure out what your needs are and find the option that best suits you. Air mattresses are great for comfort, while cots offer elevation and Hammocks provide relaxation. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s something that will help you get a good night’s sleep!
Can You Sleep Well in a Tent?
Of course! A tent is the preferred place to sleep for some people, but for others it can be a pain. If you follow some tips about how to sleep better in a tent though, it’s comfortable for everyone!
How Can I Make My Tent Sleep More Comfortable?
- Blanket – A blanket can be used as an extra layer of insulation when sleeping on the ground. It can also be used to Hang over your tent to block out light, or placed under your head for added comfort.
- Pillow – A pillow can help make sleeping on the ground more comfortable. You can bring one from home or purchase a camping-specific pillow that’s designed to be compact and easy to carry.
- Sleeping Bag – A sleeping bag is essential for camping in cold weather. They typically have a water-resistant outer layer and a warm inner layer to keep you cozy all night long.
- Inflatable Pillow – An inflatable pillow is a great option if you want something more comfortable than a standard camping pillow. They can be easily inflated and deflated, and some even come with built-in pillows.